Hazebikers Hazebikers
Forum van de mountainbike club Hazebikers

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   GebruikersgroepenGebruikersgroepen   RegistrerenRegistreren 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privéberichten te bekijkenLog in om je privéberichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen 

consequences for defendants who are not

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Hazebikers -> Alles over de mtb-sport
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
wh3171

BerichtGeplaatst: 26-11-2019 02:43:39    Onderwerp: consequences for defendants who are not Reageren met citaat

Canadas freestyle ski team will have a decidedly different look this season. Cheap NCAA Jerseys China . The likes of Justine Dufour-Lapointe, Dara Howell and Mikael Kingsbury will be there, but there was one glaring absence on the squad unveiled Wednesday. Two-time Olympic moguls gold medallist Alex Bilodeau retired after the last World Cup season, leaving a big hole on the team as it begins the long road to the 2018 Games in South Korea. Bilodeau became the first Canadian to win Olympic gold on home soil with his memorable victory at the 2010 Games in Vancouver, and he repeated the performance in Sochi earlier this year. Kingsbury, who battled Bilodeau for the last few years and finished second in Russia this winter, says he will miss competing against his rival. "The first couple World Cups, Im going to miss somebody to look up to and to learn from. Hes been a great athlete," Kingsbury said on a conference call. "He pushed me. Since I was very young, he was my role model." Kingsbury is a three-time overall World Cup champion, and while he and Bilodeau were friends away from the hill, they were fierce opponents on it. "Im going to miss him in a way, but in another way he was one of the strongest competitors to have," said Kinsbury, a native of Deux Montagnes, Que. "Im going to try to have new motivation, to continue to push and work hard to stay ranked first in the world." Kingsbury, who turns 22 next week, said Bilodeaus retirement doesnt open any doors because hes already had a lot of success in his young career. "He was the star for sure. He won the Olympics in Vancouver -- first (Canadian) gold medallist to win on home soil -- and Sochi," Kingsbury said. "He won the two days that he needed to win, but at the same time I dont think its my turn to shine because I won the Crystal Globe and he was there, I won the world championship and he was there. "At the Olympics he did his run. I tried everything I could to win but he had the run that he needed and he totally deserved it." Like the rest of the freestyle ski team, Kingsburys focus is primed on training for the coming season, with thoughts of the 2018 Olympics in South Korea also lingering. "I just want to continue what Ive been doing, and not do more because Alex is not there," he said. "If he would have continued I would have been super happy and still would have worked hard to win the gold medal in 2018. Thats my next plan. "Its four years -- four years is long. Im going to be ready for 2018 but theres many things to come." Dufour-Lapointe won gold in Sochi in womens moguls, and will now take it one year at a time as she starts to build towards the next Games. The same is true of teammate Audrey Robichaud, who finished 10th in the womens moguls in Sochi. "Personally I feel like Im still on a high from the Olympics," said Robichaud, a native of Quebec City. "What keeps me going is I feel like I can still get better and theres room for improvement." Also headlining the Canadian team for the 2014-15 season is Howell, who topped the podium in womens slopestyle in Sochi, Chloe Dufour-Lapointe -- the silver medallist in moguls behind her younger sister at the Games -- and Kim Lamarre, who finished third in slopestyle. The other Sochi medallist on this years team is Mike Riddle, who took silver in halfpipe. The rest of the Canadian freestyle team for the upcoming year includes: aerial skiers Travis Gerrits, Olivier Rochon, Jean-Christophe Andre and Sabrina Guerin; halfpipe skiers Mike Riddle, Justin Dorey, Simon dArtois, Rosalind Groenewoud, Keltie Hansen, Megan Gunning; slopestyle skiers Alex Beaulieu-Marchand, Alex Bellemare, Evan McEachran and Kaya Turski; and moguls skiers Marc-Antoine Gagnon, Philippe Marquis and Maxime Dufour-Lapointe. Wholesale College Jerseys . On Thursday theyll learn even more. Despite the cloud of uncertainty that has followed them around from the moment general manager Masai Ujiri was brought in to put his stamp on the franchise, the Raptors have surpassed all pre-season expectations. NCAA Basketball Jerseys . -- Canadas Justin Shin shot an 8-under 64 on Thursday on PGA Wests Nicklaus Tournament Course to take the first-round lead in the Web. https://www.cheapncaajerseysjustwholesale.com/ . Pekovic had an MRI test Tuesday on his right ankle that revealed bursitis, which is inflammation of the fluid-filled pad that cushions the joint.L.A. Kings defenceman Slava Voynov has been suspended indefinitely with pay following his arrest on suspicion of domestic violence. The City of Redondo Beach Police Department issued a press release indicating that a female could be heard screaming and crying from Voynovs home, and that later that night, Voynov accompanied the alleged victim to the hospital where he was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence. The Charges Voynov was arrested pursuant to Section 273.5 of the California Penal Code. A person is charged under this section if he or she willfully inflicts corporal injury resulting in a traumatic condition upon a victim. Willfully means a person acted on purpose. Traumatic refers to any injury caused by the application of physical force. Traumatic injuries can be either serious or minor, and include broken bones, concussions, sprains, bruises and injuries from suffocation or strangulation. A domestic violence crime under Section 273.5 is either a misdemeanor or a felony. A felony is the far more serious charge. The type of charge will depend on a number of factors, including the severity of the injuries sustained and whether the defendant has a history of violence. With a felony, Voynov would be facing up to four years in state jail with an additional five years if great bodily injury was inflicted. On the other hand, a misdemeanor is punishable by up to one year in county jail. NHL Suspends Voynov To Protect Its Reputation As per Article 18-A.5 of the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement, which deals with off-ice discipline, Voynov was suspended indefinitely with pay. This section provides that the league may suspend the Player pending the Leagues formal review and disposition of the matter where the failure to suspend the Player during this period would create a substantial risk of material harm to the legitimate interests and/or reputation of the League. There is a misconception that since this language appears in the CBA, the NHLPA agreed to a suspension for suspected domestic violence and as a result it cant challenge the NHLs decision. Thats not the case. The Union did indeed collectively bargain Article 18; however it did not expressly agree to a suspension for suspected domestic violence. The language in this section is certainly broad enough to capture the Voynov suspension. To conclude, however, that the NHLPA explicitly agreed to a player suspension in these specific circumstances is not accurate. It agreed to let the league protect its reputation. When and how it does that is open to interpretation. NHLPA & A Grievance The NHLPA could grieve this case with a view to getting Voynov reinstated. The NHLPA would argue that a suspension based merely on allegations fails to respect due process and the cherished principle of the presumption of innocence. While a presumption of innocence in certain circumstances makes us uncomfortable, the NHLPA would argue, it is the cornerstone of the judicial system and must be respected at all levels. Voynov is innocent until proven guilty, and the NHLPA would say that the NHLs actions are capricious, while also prematurely suggesting guilt. The NHLPA would also argue that the NHL would not be materially harmed if it first waited for law enforcement to decide the matter. Further, the NHLPA cares about precedent. By allowing Voynovs suspension to go unchallenged, it is mindful it may become more difficult to mount a meaningful objection in future for a similar case. As well, the NHLPA may be concerned that other players may be falsely accused of wrongdoing by a former spouse or companion looking to extract revenge for a bad breakup, etc. Cheap NCAA Jerseys. Since a mere allegation of domestic violence may sustain a suspension, there is an incentive for a scorned lover to manufacture a story with a view to inflicting harm and embarrassment on a player. Another Case: Semyon Varlamov Despite being formally charged in November of last year with third degree assault after allegedly attacking his girlfriend Evgeniya Vavrinyuk, Colorado Avalanche goaltender Semyon Varlamov was still permitted to play. The NHLPA would argue that this constitutes inconsistent treatment of its members and the only reason Voynov is being suspended is because the incident occurred post-Rice. Ray Rice Changed Everything The NHL could point to Ray Rice to support its position. Times have changed since the appalling video evidence of Rices left cross surfaced. That video changed the way people react to domestic violence. Gone are the days when sports fans put up with it. The public sentiment is now one of complete intolerance and absolute scorn. As a result, the league could argue that allowing Voynov to play could tarnish or irreparably harm its reputation. That could translate into a loss of sponsors, season ticket holders and fans. This argument falls squarely within the four corners of Article 18-A.5, which is designed to protect the reputation of the league. Is it a subjective interpretation? Depends who you ask. Is it unreasonable? No. The league would also be clear that each case is considered on its own facts and that suspensions will not be automatic in cases of domestic violence allegations. Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly acknowledged the changing times together with a belief that the circumstances were different than Varlamov. I think the landscape has changed for all of us over the past six months, Daly said in an email to thn.com. But thats not the only reason for the difference in treatment. Circumstances were different in Varlamov. I cant get more specific than that. Ultimately, the NHL would argue that its taking the prudent approach, and while not ideal, the dramatically different landscape surrounding domestic violence forced its hand. While not without legal risk, the NHLs position is not unreasonable and may well withstand legal scrutiny. Both sides, though, have good arguments. That generally happens when broad legal language is open to interpretation. And Article 18 is no exception. Voynov Could Sue As for Voynov, there is the possibility he could sue the NHL if ever acquitted. While remote, he could allege that his acquittal proves he did nothing wrong and his immediate suspension damaged his reputation and earning potential. Domestic Violence: A Deportable Crime In the U.S., the crime of domestic violence can lead to serious immigration consequences for defendants who are not U.S. citizens. Under a federal law called the Immigration and Nationality Act, a non-citizen can be ordered deported if he is convicted of domestic violence. So apart from prison time, Voynov could also be deported. Victims Refusal To Testify Domestic violence in the state of California is not only considered a crime against the person, but also against the state. This means that a prosecutor has the authority to pursue criminal charges of domestic violence even if the alleged victim doesnt want to cooperate. A prosecutor has subpoena power, which means he or she can force the accuser to testify. Its generally preferable to have the victims cooperation, but its not necessary. Whats Next for the NHL? A domestic violence policy. ' ' '
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Hazebikers -> Alles over de mtb-sport Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: